Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Character is ...

...The ability to carry out a worthy decision after the emotion of making that decision has passed.

I read that a couple nights ago and thought wow, I better work on my character. I find that so many times my character is probably weekend because of my faults. I think we all try to do our best in life but sadly most of it is spent paying attention to things that are urgent , but not vital. Does that make sense?

Example.

You come home and you want to spend time with your hubby rubbing his feet - or whatever, and then a hurried phone call, dinner, friends, life. Urgent, all those things are good and urgent, but vital? The book I'm reading talks about how often our kids and spouses are vital, but not urgent. Why? Simple. They are are always there. Tyson is always there, so I pay attention to things that are urgent. The quote "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" comes to mind.

I don't actually have the answer of how to make the switch in our frantic world, but I believe in this:
1. Sunday are no interruption days.
2. You can be both extremely successful AND keep vitals things first. I want both.
3. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Not genius thoughts, but it made me put things back into perspective.

Great book The 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management.

PS: Jeff Fieldsted is coming down to SLC on Friday. This guy is amazing. Travels the nation telling his Rags to Riches story. Everyone is welcome to come. I have extra tickets.

Much love.

1 comment: