Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas in November?

Wow this year all the Christmas prep is coming soo0 fast. For the first time I have this need to create a great holiday. I read a book called "Debt Proof Your Holidays" and it really got me thinking. Mind you I have never gone into debt for Christmas, but the book talked a lot more about why we get ourselves into debt - to make up for the lack of fullfilling experiences due to our rushed holiday time. Isn't true though? We work long hours, it's dark, we don't want to go out, we want to eat .... and so we put off and put off and put off and end up doing so much last minute shopping that we run out of time. Result: Overspent, overworked and no fullfiling memories of the season. This was me last year. Tyson and I were so busy that we just did not enjoy it. We did not plan anything so we were bored. I did not overspend but I was not careful either.

I resolved to not let that happen again.

So here was my game plan:

1. Plan Christmas budgets and gift ideas WAY in advance (for me it was October 1st)
2. Have all gifts bought by December 1st. Why? Because I will eliminate my last minute shopping frenzy and the nigths I do have off - I want to spend them doing memorie-filled activities. Plus I am working more so I have less time.
3. Get family exchanges sorted out before November. I got both my families and Tyson's family exchange sorted our and planned by November 1st.
4. Plan activites that are simple but meaningful. Tyson and I put up our Christmas tree up last night. I know it's crazy, but man it was fun. We already have 10 gifts under the tree. Stree level is very low and we get to enjoy it longer.
5. When we are off - plan activities that are cheap.Some examples are - get 24 Christmas stories from the Library and read a short story everynight. Do one service project during the next two months as a family.


On another note, I am excited for a little Thanksgiving activity I am doing for my family. I am feeling all sort of Domestic Diva-ish :)

3 comments:

  1. Love your ideas Martha!! I really need to get my game plan together and, like you said, the holidays are fast approaching! I can hardle believe it! Thanks for inspiring me to get my act together already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now all we need is Tyson's list!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like doing most of my Christmas shopping early. I never have set out to do that, but I find buying gifts stresses me out ('cause I'm not very good at it), so I plan early to give myself lots of time to think of things. Right now our Christmas shopping is completely done except for one present for Avram's sister, and our stocking stuffers (mostly for the girls. Mostly bought at the dollar store).

    I also like celebrating Christmas early - I don't feel like it takes away from Thanksgiving at all, which is another holiday I very much enjoy. Have a fun Christmas time! (It sounds like you will).

    ReplyDelete