Thursday, April 24, 2014

Burley adventure



I've had my burley trailer got almost a month and I am so happy with it. I wNted to write a short story about it. 

Back in January 2014 I was looking for ways to save money. Ty and I decided to take FPU again. The classes started February 16th. At our first class our teacher told us about Mr Money Mustage. A 30 year old Coloradoan who retired and teaches about simple living. I looked up his blog and was surprised by how much I liked it. One of the things that he feels strongly about is biking as transportation. It saved so much money and exercise was included. It made me think of the 6 months that I was hard core biking and thinking about selling one of our cars but I stopped when I got pregnant. 

So I started looking at ways to used car less. The one thing I started was walking to our store about a mile away. The double stroller was fine but there was no room for the groceries. So I started researching. Man I had no idea there was a huge world of trailers out there - chariots, burleys, croozers and many more. I was shocked at the price - from 450-1000  for a trailer!!! However I saw that they kept their value really well. 

Do I started out wanting a Croozer which was 400 or so. I started looking for ways to earn money. I sold everything I could on Craigslist. Slowly but surely things started to come together. When I got 300 I looked for trailers on Craigslist. I tested out a chariot trailer but was not sold. I went to rei and looked at burley and was totally sold on the cargo space. I even bought a burley used on Craigslist but the gut lied about the year so I took it back and got my money back. It was quite a learning curve. 

Finally Kayla Thompson gave me her 20% rei coupon. I took it to bicycle village and they priced matched a new Encore for 360. Them I got the wheels for 70. So new it would have cost me 560 but I spent 419. Now this was still a lot for me but through gods help I raised all the money. I felt very grateful. 

So now it's been a month and I have used it a ton! Our walks feel great. The cargo space is amazing! Today I took it on the bike for the first time and it was also great! There were two times I had to get out and walk but it was worth it! The girls seem to love it and I just feel great about taking it places. 

Overall man I really love it! 

1 comment: