Saturday, November 22, 2014

Lately

This last week we went to children's hospital for londons skin. Since the summer her skin goes in spurts of awful eczema. We are currently on several steroid creams to help it. We were again told the same thing - keep it moisturized and lots of lotion, cream and short nails. Truth be told it gets frustrating to hear the same thing over and over. We keep fighting the good fight. 

I also attempted to do a girly thing but going to a free craft night at Home Depot. Bad idea. I took Melissa and met four other ladies there well Home Depot thought they were just showing us what to do instead of letting each of us do one. Well we complaint and at the last minute they attempted to get the materials to make one. Three hours later we still weren't done. We took the pieces home and finished it the next day. 

It was really funny but really upsetting at the same time. I won't be doing that again. 

Tomorrow I teach Sunday school on the tents of zion and strengthening our communities. Next week is thanksgiving and I can't believe it's here let alone Christmas. This year we'll have a super simple Christmas. 





2 comments:

  1. Hey! So this is super random, but I've had severe eczema my whole life. I will say this - as an adult it's so much more manageable! As a kid, it blows! Here are the things that help me (still!). You may have heard some or all of these before, but just in case, I thought I'd share. It's so not fun, especially for babies!

    1. Cetaphil lotion. In the tub. The thick creamy stuff. Don't even bother with the thinner, pump style stuff. It's irrelevant in the case of eczema. Put the thick stuff on RIGHT AFTER baths or showers.
    2. Aquaphor for serious patches. This is really greasy and obnoxious (and expensive!), but it's really good for like cracky feet or heels. I wear it all winter with socks on top (while I sleep).
    3. Steroid cream when you need it. (And I still NEED it in the winter.)
    4. In the winter, the hot, dry air (like from heaters) really dries out skin. Try to keep long sleeves on your baby if she'll tolerate them? Buy her cute leggings that she thinks are fun (that are really just keeping her from itching). I cover up as much skin as I can because it all just hurts and gets cracky and rashy.
    5. A humidifier might help? Whenever I visit humid climates, my skin is like amazing. I don't notice much of a difference with in house humidifiers though. I don't think it's enough moisture.
    6. Keep baths/showers as short and as lukewarm as she'll tolerate. I take the fastest showers in the history of ever. They hurt. I haaaate showering.
    7. Okay. Bear with me here - dairy CAN contribute to eczema issues. My mom took us almost totally off dairy when we were kids and it worked wonders. (I still hate hate hate milk and keep my dairy intake minimal.) There are a ton of alternative dairy products out there too that are super yummy. I think it's the really heavy dairy that causes issues. Yogurt, a little cheese here and there, don't seem to contribute. But ice cream, creamy soup, cups of milk. It's not a science - but it could be worth a try? Some people say gluten can contribute. I'm 100% gluten free and still have bad eczema, so my evidence points to no. :)
    8. My sister's daughter (3 years old) has severe eczema. The ONLY thing that works for her is a cream/lotion from Melaleuca called Renew. You have to go through a distributor to get it (it's dumb), but it really is magic.
    9. No fragrance anything. Lotion, soap, laundry detergent. It's horrid on eczema skin. Even though I can manage eczema fairly well, fragranced stuff causes almost immediate rashes for me. (By the way, I think the Melaleuca stuff has a smell, which is so weird to me. But it works! I've seen it!)

    It's mostly just finding ways to cope that work for each person. I hope some of these ideas help! :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing suggestions. I'm going to try the no milk route - just in case. They won't test her for allergies because she is too young. I've also been putting some oils on her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete