Saturday, June 6, 2020

Gerber Family Update #1 - June 2020

We made it to June. We've had good things and bad things happen.

I need to write about the sad things first. 

On May 25th, right before Memorial Day, and just when life was getting back to normal (summer started, they were slowly opening up our city, the weather was really beautiful) A White policeman killed an innocent black man by putting his knee on his throat for 9 minutes. 

George Floyd died by police brutality. Three other police officers stood by and did NOTHING. 

This started what are now huge riots all over Minnesota and many other states - including Denver and Salt Lake. 

And for the first time in my life - I saw people stand up for Black Lives Matter. And for the first time I stood up too. 

As someone who has tried to not let my skin color keep me from doing much - I finally realized that staying quiet was not speaking out did not feel right. 

So i have posted and have really tried to listen. I have seen some of my family stand up - while others have stayed quite. I have seen people who I respect - do the old ways to minimize the pain of minorities. 

For the first time, I have talked to my kids about racism and that I have experienced racism because I looked different than them. Sydney and London have listen and they are understanding it. But how do I explain that their very own family has been racist toward me and that those wounds never truly heal? 

I have seen my mom take a stand and really talk about how she feels and her worry for my brothers who have been pulled over several times. 

So I am writing this down to let my kids know that this time was a hard time for me. That racist is real and that it's not ok - not by anyone or anything. 

My commitment is that I will expose my girls to more diversity and be open to more diversity and that I will stand when I see racism happening. 



My girls will always be part of two worlds - the traditional American world but also their Latin heritage world. It's a hard time to be part of both but I hope they can see that mom stood up for the value of both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment