Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Reading nook

We got our little reading nook this weekend. The mattress crib is and old one from London. We got pillows and leafs from Ikea. It was really fun. Sydney even picked out this one green pillow and would not let it go. This is the first time she has shown so much love for something new.

I've been thinking a lot about home and what I picture for it. Since having kids I've really paid attention to the kind of things I want my home to focus on. I wanted to write down what I really believe in right now for my girls:

1. I believe in reading. A lot. I have lots of worries about my girls struggling in school. Not sure why, but I'm a big believer that if you are a strong reader, every thing else can be taught. Going to college has made me realize that statistics, calculus, marketing and all those classes I took made NO difference for me as a mother and wife. I can contribute most of my wisdom from reading good books. Even last night I was in bed at 930 reading about schools, kids, marriage. You name it.

2. I believe in outdoors. Right now we have no backyard. We only have a front yard with two mature trees, rocks and a small patio. It's not the best, but I love it. We are out there everyday. We keep a blanket out there. We read out there, we practice letters, numbers and songs out there. I can't imagine ever living in a place with no outdoor spot.

3. I believe in walking. Right now we walk in the trailer home  park behind us. It gets the job done but how I long for actual sidewalks, with mature trees lining the streets and shade. How I long to check out all the different porches and houses.

4. I believe in porches. I want TWO big porches. Front and back. I mean big porches. The kind that is big enough that I can have a dance floor.

5. I believe in small spaces. If I ever get a home, I want it to be no more than three bedrooms and 2000 sq. I dream of actually hiring someone to come and plan my house so every space is used. I also just want to have BIG door leading to the backyard. I see those houses on pinterest that extend to the entire wall and I just picture me leaving the door open every morning for hours on end. I want the outside to casually flow into the family room.

Oh man so many ideas, so many wishes. We are really far from buying a home, but man I have changed so much in the last three years as to what I want in a home.

but for right now I just have this little reading nook. Sydney and I have used it three times. I make an effort to go there several times a day so someday Sydney will see it as a cool place.



1 comment: