Saturday, November 20, 2010

Brilliant Idea

Oh man! I was driving the golf cart around the property this morning and had the most BRILLIANT idea for our Christmas traditions!!! I want a Christmas that is simple and fun. I want to be surrounded by family and memories - not materialism and stress and inevitable depression that comes after it. I've always felt that the as soon as the presents were opened - the magic dies and you are left kinda lonely. January comes and it's SOOO depressing to have nothing to look forward to. I don't want that. I also don't want my kids to think Christmas is the "End All" for presents. I want them happy but also looking into the future. So here is my ideas:

Christmas eve: yummy dinner, PJ's and maybe looking at lights
Christmas morning: Do Christmas socks like the Gerbers, after socks we take turns and
each person get 1. three presents a. 1 toy b. clothes c. something creative.
2. gets a personal letter from mom and dad
3. a favorite treat.

The last part is where the kids will then go around the house picking up clues and then they get it together they come back to figure out the trip that we will take in MARCH!!! I like March because of spring break , its the off season and its not in the middle of a crazy month for PFS.

I like this because I love hunting for stuff and then the excited is NOT just on Christmas. This way we can plan our family vacations around the same time and we can spend the whole month preparing for our vacation :)

I talked to Tyson and he agreed. He liked it. He told me his mom did that when they announced the trip to Cancun. I remember when my parents took us to Disneyland they morning of Christmas. It was SOOO exciting. I want that. Even if its just somewhere small - presentation is the key.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea. I wish I could do that - I have in laws who are definitely present love language - and so my kids get tons of presents on christmas. I've had to realize I cannot change others, only myself - so we have a "one year" present rule - a year after we receive presents, we can move them on to others, so our house doesn't get overly stuffed. Still, I want to do small Christmases - and the vacations sound fun every year. Memories are the best gifts of all.

    ReplyDelete