Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turkey Time

T-minus 2 days until our first Thanksgiving away from family. I feel really blessed to have had atleast four invitations to join several families for the big day. Part of me saw visions of a sad Thanksgiving all alone eating rice & beans - not that there's anything wrong with rice and beans :)

The Scottorns were so generous to invite us over. Melissa put me in charge of the following:

A green salad. Check.
Stuffing. Check.
Homemade rolls. Double check.
The turkey..... wait what?

Yeah I got worried when I was put in charge of the main bird of the day. To be fair Melissa just told me to bring it over and she will show me how to do it! Sweet. So Tyson and I bought our first turkey ever last week. We got it for $.35/lb at Albertsons. For 18 lbs we paid about $6.5. Not bad.

My goal is to learn how to do well enough that I can buy two more turkeys, make them during the year and freeze the rest. It will be a pretty big experiement.

Thrusday morning Tyson is joining a stake wide Turkey Bowl. He is so excited. The Scottorns eat around 1 pm, which is SUPER early for us. My family usually eat around 8 pm. Tyson and I are planning to go shopping on Black Friday. We hope to get Gaylan's present as well as some fun things for us. Tomorrow I plan to make the homemade rolls ahead of time and freeze them during the night and let them rise slowly all morning long. I'm excited.

I have to say that these last 9 months being in Colorado has taught us so much. In my list of "thankful things" moving to Colorado has to be a big one. I miss my family terribly - but I love, love, love being here with Tyson. I love what we are learning and the new found skills that I have been forced to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment