Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hospital stay

With Sydney being so sick we have been super careful with London. At night I am only taking care of Sydney and during the day we were changing shirts every time we switched babies.

I kept praying that London would not get it. We gave her a blessing on Wednesday but Thursday morning I could hear her get weezy and struggling to breath. We watched her all day along with the snow falling down. First big snow storm of the year.

Well the next morning she was still wheezy. I felt I should take her in. I called the children's hospital and talked to a nurse. She listened to her breathing On the phone and suggested I bring her in.

We got everything ready and then my grandma and I took both babies in. They hooked London up to see her oxygen and took a mucus sample to see if its RSV

London was doing great. She slept for an hour at which point I needed to take Sydney home for a nap so my grandma stayed with London. I got home and put Sydney down. 20 minutes later the hospital called - London's oxygen went down. Fast. They felt she was in trouble. They wanted to admit her to the aurora campus- via life flight.

I called Tyson to let him know. He got off work and hurried home. The three of us drove to the hospital. We signed the paperwork and saw that a thick fog started to cover the area. The ambulance came instead. Ty took grandma and Sydney home. I took the 30 minute drive in the front seat of the ambulance to the aurora campus.

We arrived at the hospital and went straight to the NICU. The put London on oxygen and checked her vitals. After an hour the doctor on call came in to introduce herself and explain what we should expect. The mucus sample came back positive for RSV, which dosent have a cure. The only thing they could do is help London with secretions or mucus so that she can breath easier. The condition gets worse over 5-7 days before heading down hill. They said we should expect London to get worse before better but that they have many procedures as she gets worse.

So it's a waiting game. London eats every 3 hours and sleeps and plays. Today we have sucked out her mucus 4 times. The staff so far has been amazing. Last night Tyson slept in the room while I slept in a family room. I got 7 hours of straight sleep. I haven't had that for almost 5 months without getting up to pee.












No comments:

Post a Comment