Thursday, February 14, 2013

London Birth Story Part 2


I felt this huge pressure and it just left like I was going poop. I pushed and instantly felt the head out but the urge to continue to poop stayed even though the doctors kept saying "don't push dont push". All I wanted was to keep pushing and so I took my strength and pushed even though they told me not to. All of the sudden I felt her completely out and a huge gush of blood followed. 

After London was out, I was still pretty out of it so the doctors started testing her rather than putting her on my stomach. Tyson says that my eyes were pretty glossed over, I was trembling and not really all there. I could hear London crying - a loud healthy cry. Tyson kept saying "it's over baby you did great" but I felt like I was run over. My whole body hurt. 

They kept me on the table waiting for my placenta to come out - which took 26 minutes. London only look 23. They started pushing on my stomach and I could feel everything. I started yelling "ouch that hurts!". I was very vocal as you can imagine. They had me push one more time and the placenta finally came out. I also needed stitches but had to feel every little prick from the numbing needle and even after that I could feel the stitches being done. It. Sucked. Again I started yelling at poor Dr. Burgess to stop but she had to keep going. 

They finally put London on my chest to try and distract me. London was beautiful. Looked a lot like Sydney but also had very distinct features. She was perfect. Having her on my chest made me slow down and finally see how lucky I was. 

They put her on my breast and she was so happy. It was much better than with Sydney. After about an hour they attempted to get me to get up to go pee, well my dizziness came back, I lost my hearing in my left ear and when I attempted to stand up I started to pass out. So they had to catheter - another crappy highlight. My friend Melissa was there holding London and Ty said she was so scared. They put more solution in my IV trying to get my blood pressure up. 

After another two hours we attempted to get me up again to transport me to my new room. Passed out again. By this time Tyson had left to go home to take care of Sydney who was still with Betsy. Tyson then took Sydney to the Thompson's house to sleep for the night. In the meantime our friend Allison Meakin came to the hospital to be with me. She held London and cried with me as I recapped my birth story. I was finally able to eat dinner. After the 3rd attempted to get me to stand up unsuccessfully they transported me along with the entire bed to my new room. 

Tyson came back around 930. We settled in to our new room for our first night with London. She was awesome. She would breastfeed every 3 hours and sleep in between. I was exhausted but also filled with lots of joy. Tyson was a trooper and changed every diaper since standing up was not an option for me. I have to say I was pretty sad that I was still having so  many issues with my balance even after giving birth naturally. I thought for sure I would be recovering faster and better. Sadly it was not the case. The next day was not much better. Breastfeeding became an issue because I could not look down without getting sick. They decided to keep me a 3rd day. The 2nd night at the hospital was the worse. London feed every hour and fussed all  night. I was exhausted from the day before, Tyson was exhausted. My whole body hurt - it was rough night. We started London on donor breast milk and she eat it sooooo fast. She also took her first pacifier. It was the only thing we could do to help me sleep. Oh man that was a long night. I remember crying in my hospital bed. I felt so alone and yet I was surrounded by nurses, staff and Tyson. 

Wednesday we started the check out process, which takes hours. Our favorite nurse Stephanie was there and was so helpful. She rocked! We finally checked out at 3 pm and headed home. It was a surreal couple of days. I was so sad to leave the hospital and scared to go home but I knew I had a bunch of help waiting for us at home. I felt better than I did with Sydney but still scared for the changes that we would feel. 

My overall experience with the natural birth vs medicated birth was not so positive. I''m amazed I was able to do it. The human body is amazing. However, I was not emotionally ready and because of that I think the experience was probably tainted. I mentally panicked with made my body start to shut down. Had I wanted and natural birth and prepared for it, it might have been a pretty neat experience. The initial post pardum process was much harder because I felt every little thing they were doing to my body. I really hated that part. Tyson kept saying how proud of me he was and how great I did, but I felt I did pretty poorly. So next time we decided to go the hospital WAY earlier since my labors progress so fast. 

Still I have a beautiful little girl. Healthy and whole. No matter how she got here - I'm just glad she made it and is blessing our family. Welcome sweet London!


































No comments:

Post a Comment