Friday, December 6, 2013

Binkie Extraction

I can't believe we did it! Sydney has been 100% binkie free for almost two weeks. So here's the story.

We went to Vegas right after she turned two. We had a great time but I also had a very strong feeling that we needed to get rid of bink soon. Sydney was growing up and she still really loved the binkie but she wanted it more and more during the day. We used binkie a lot for quiet time and she insisted more and more on being in her crib. I also noticed that whenever she fell or got  hurt of just sad, she called for binkie. I did not want this to be her first source of calming.

I knew bink had to go, but I was scared and I was sad. She loved her binkie and it meant that she was growing up. I read alot about different ways to get rid of it. The fairy, the party, the binkie going up in a balloon. I decided that she would freak out if her binkie finally disappeared. I decided to slowly cut the tip of the binkie. I cut out the very tip on ALL her binkies plus londons binkie. I put the binkies back into the cribs and went on as normal. Now we had just gotten back from vacation and Sydney began resisting going to bed, even though she did have the binkie. Nap time was no big, but bedtime was really hard for three nights. Mostly because she did NOT want to go to bed. She was too busy playing. So for three nights she cried hard for a good hour. It was hard to not be able to go put her binkie back in. Tyson would go back in, give her water and then she would fall sleep just fine.

So then four days later I cut a little bit more of and so forth until the binkie was pretty much gone, but I never "took"it away. Finally after two weeks I noticed the binkie downstairs and Sydney was trying to give it to a puppet we were playing. I started saying with the puppet - "eewug. binkies are for babies and you are a big girl" and like magic it was done. It was like a light was turned on. She never has missed it since.

So now, we have started putting her to bed at 745 but giving her books and saying "you don't have to sleep but you do have to go to bed."  We leave some books and walk out. She will spend the next 20 minutes "reading" and talking and then fall sleep. It's been a great transition and I am just so proud that we actually did it.

Sydney is growing up. she's such a sweet girl - energetic, spunky, full of life. I know sometime this year we will do potty training, but for right now I'm so excited to report such big news.

On a sidenote, we attempted to take London's away but changed our minds. Poor london still loved her binkie. So we gave it back, but we gave a different size. This way Sydney does not get confused. So now we are all happy. Sydney is great, London's sleeping again and we feel so blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment