Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Corporate Reality Check

I lost my job. Friday 02.22.08 my boss casually told me that the company has dissolved my position - along with about 5 other key positions. The reason: the company spent millions last year to rebrand their name (I choose to keep the company confidential because its the way of any corporation, not just this company) and the results have been disappointing and since my position had been created during that time - we would just dissolve it.

But wait there's more! I was told that since I had my degree, they were paying me too much so "We will repost a simpler position on Monday that will pay $9/hour and you are more than welcome to reapply." Reapply? REAPPLY! What kind of idiot do you take me for?

I came home. Told Ty what happened. His response - "This is why we are building our business." Its true! As much as this stings I can't help but THANK GOD that Ty is building something for us. I don't care who you are, or how "great" you are at your job - unless you own it, you don't have security. My company did not just let me go but also let go some of our top financial exects. Point made.

Being let go is not only humiliating but if you don't have the right attitude - it can also numb you. Too many people just say "well i'll just get another job and hope that works better." People, DON'T KID YOURSELF! I dont' want another freaking job! I want a business. I don't care how long it takes me to build it - I'm sick of making other people money. I'm sick of the politics. I'm sick of the lousy pay. I'm sick of the crappy hours. I'm sick of seeing families torn apart because both mom and dad work, don't get paid enough, but keep on working either way.

Tyson and I have struck gold with PFS. Is it easy? No. Is it worth it? 100%. Tyson and I have a very clear picture of where we will be in 5 years and it WON'T be working under someone else and wishing for a lousy 40K a year.

For those that feel the same way, let me show you the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment