Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Found Passion

Last night Ty and I had to chance to listen to a business/mortgage guru and let me tell you how awesome it was; however, all day today I have been surrounded by all kinds of thoughts about this. This is my time to vent:

The mortgage seminar not just talked about all there is to know about mortgages (which I suggest EVERYONE should know about - C'mon people, your home is your single biggest asset!) but we also discussed just overall success strategies and some classy books to sink your teeth into - so this morning I was so excited to not just share my new knowledge with my coworkers, but also a treat to get new books - and that is were it all started.

Today I have come to the conclusion that most people love to play the roll of the victims. Why? because its easy. Its easy to wish you were different, wish you were smarter, wish you were richer, wish you were better with money - but wishing does not get you anywhere. Action does. Last night Bobby (speaker, finance guru, self-made millionaire) said "chip away what doesn't belong" and he talked about how people whine about not having enough time to do something great - but they also don't have time to do something small - say coming to a mortgage seminar. He talked about how average people almost do things but winners do it every time - no matter how many times it takes.

I ended telling my manager about my awesome evening and how great it was and how much I learned and all he could say is "Did they teach you anything new?" and I said "well not really - I already know a lot about mortgages, but it was a great environment" and he said "Well I would not have gone. All they do is try to sell you books." STOP. This kind of "I already know most of this" mentality is what keeps middle class - middle class. Anytime spent with a millionaire who is willing to tell you his story, his success strategies, his triumphs, his downs and ups ... is PRICELESS!!! I'm so sad for the millions of Americans who whine about not being to live better, keep wives at home, spend more time with kids - but the minute you tell them about a seminar, opportunity, good book, good magazine to read - they DON'T DO IT!

I really respect my manager - who I believe is really intelligent and really respect his opinion, but I can only say how thankful I am for those who are like me - willing to learn, change, adapt and heck just DRIVE to become better. Some say "the rich just keep getting richer and take advantage of the poor," Wrong. Having met many rich people - I believe the rich deserve EVERYTHING they own - why? Because they were willing to take a stand, a risk, a rejection, a loss - because they were willing to take action.

Now I don't want this posting to be gloom and doom -but I guess you have all seen one of my greatest passions - to empower people to do something better with their lives and not be mediocre. Love it or hate it - doesn't matter. Truth stands alone.

On a brighter note, for those of you looking for awesome reads, below are my new favorites:

1. The LeftHanded Soldiers - Gary Eby
2. The Angel Inside - Chris Widner
3. In the End It All Goes Back in the Box - John Ortberg

No comments:

Post a Comment